About Project Life
Matching Miracles. Curing Cancer. Relentlessly Hopeful.
For over thirty years, one of the best kept secrets in providing cures for cancers like leukemia & lymphoma and for diseases like sickle cell anemia has been bone marrow donation and transplantation. In 1987, a federal mandate created the National Marrow Donor Program. The program had a simple, audacious goal: connecting volunteer donors with patients whose only chance for a cure was a bone marrow transplant.
In 1989, a group of students at Davidson College approached President John Kuykendall and asked for his support in connecting the school to the cause of identifying potential donors for the national registry. On March 13, 1990, Davidson College held its inaugural Project Life bone marrow donor recruitment drive. Close to 500 students, staff, and faculty stepped forward to join the Project Life movement and an incredible, 20-year story unfolded.
Since that first drive and with the vital support of groups like Presbyterian Hospital, Davidson College has had the distinction of becoming the longest-lasting, student-run marrow and tissue typing program in the country. Over the past eight years, Presbyterian College has also established a highly visible and highly successful chapter of Project Life.
In order to meet the growing need for donors, Project Life seeks to carry this model to college campuses across the nation. By advising, guiding, supporting, and providing project seed money, Project Life will create additional campus chapters of the program across the country in a sweeping effort to bring hope and healing to others.
Project Life Board of Directors
- Mr. Steve Ball, Eastern Plastics Company, Inc
- Dr. Jim Boyd, Oncology Specialists of Charlotte
- Ms. Mary Dowd, Dixon Hughes
- Honorable Anthony Foxx, Mayor of Charlotte
- Mrs. Catherine Turner Greene, Winston-Salem, NC
- Reverend J. Kirkland Hall, First Presbyterian Church
- Dr. John Kuykendall, President, Davidson College
- Mr. Bart Landess, Foundation for the Carolinas
- Mrs. Cathie Long, National Marrow Donor Program
- Ms. Sarah McIlroy, Davidson, North Carolina
- Ms. Andrea McGavin, Time-Warner Cable Arena
- Mr. Prem Manjooran, The Capital Group
- Mr. Carter Payne, Charlotte, NC
- Mr. John Ramey, Five Points Advisors
- Dr. Susan Roberts, Davidson College
- Mrs. Mary Katherine Elkins, Charlotte, NC
- Rev. Dr. David S. Lindsay (ex officio)